qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About AddressSpace in intel-iommu emulation

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About AddressSpace in intel-iommu emulation
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 16:05:06 +0200

Il 26/06/2014 16:01, Le Tan ha scritto:
Hi Paolo,
I am adding intel-iommu emulation to q35 for the GSoC project. I am
confused about AddressSpace and I believe that you can help me. :)
1. For intel-iommu emulation, I have to read the translation
structures from guest memory, that is, the guest will prepare some
tables in memory and write the physical address of them to a register
of intel-iommu, and I need to access those structures. I use
dma_memory_read(&address_space_memory,...) to do this. Is that right?
I am not sure that whether accesses to address_space_memory will be
translated through IOMMU. I think the answer is not, because I see
that cpu_physical_memory_read() also use address_space_memory as
AddressSpace.

Correct.

2. In my opinion, I have to init a AddressSpace and link it with my
IOMMU MemoryRegion, then the bus uses this AddressSpace to translate
the accesses. Is that right? For q35, how can I register my IOMMU
MemoryRegion to the bus? I see that there is function
pci_setup_iommu() that links a AddressSpace to the bus to translate
accesses to PCI into system memory. Is that related? I think q35
should maintain a bus AddressSpace, but I can't find it.
What do you think?

Right now, the q35 PCI host does not define an iommu_fn, so the default DMA address space is used by pci_device_iommu_address_space. This is just address_space_memory.

The iommu_fn is set with pci_setup_iommu. Commit ae74bbe (apb: implement IOMMU translation for PCI host bridge, 2014-05-28) provides an example of how to prepare an IOMMU memory region, add it to an address space, and return that address space from an iommu_fn.

Thanks,

Paolo

Thanks very much!

Regards,