qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF, Q35 and USB keyboard/mouse

From: Gabriel L. Somlo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF, Q35 and USB keyboard/mouse
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 13:58:05 -0400

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:17:35AM +0200, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:34:03PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> >>XNU also populates its device tree based on the DSDT. Maybe there's a
> >>subtle difference there?
> >
> >This was the low hanging fruit, so I checked it first :) Pulled the
> >DSDT using the OS X version of "DSDTEditor" (found on insanelymac)
> >on both the Chameleon q35 version which had all three UHCIs and from
> >the OVMF q35 version which only showed UHCI3. The two DSDTs looked
> >absolutely identical (no output from diff)...
>
> You may also look for differences in USB devices in the ouput of ioreg.
> Maybe that shows something. (It's basically what you can see in System
> Profiler but easier to compare with diff and may have additional data.)

Other than lots of off-by-a-few key values, the main two hunks of the
diff between the Chameleon and OVMF instances of a Q35 OSX guest are
simply the missing two "AppleUSBUHCI" arrays:

-       <key>IORegistryEntryChildren</key>
-       <array>
-               <dict>
-                       <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
-                       <string>com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI</string>
-                       <key>Card Type</key>
-                       <string>PCI</string>
-                       <key>Companion</key>
-                       <string>yes</string>
-                       <key>Errata</key>
-                       <integer>0</integer>
-                       <key>IOClass</key>
-                       <string>AppleUSBUHCI</string>
-                       <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
-                       <string>IODefaultMatchCategory</string>
-                       <key>IOObjectClass</key>
-                       <string>AppleUSBUHCI</string>
-                       <key>IOObjectRetainCount</key>
-                       <integer>11</integer>
-                       <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
-                       <string>0x0C030000</string>
-                       <key>IOPowerManagement</key>
-                       <dict>
-                               <key>ChildrenPowerState</key>
-                               <integer>3</integer>
-                               <key>CurrentPowerState</key>
-                               <integer>3</integer>
-                               <key>DevicePowerState</key>
-                               <integer>3</integer>
-                               <key>DriverPowerState</key>
-                               <integer>3</integer>
-                               <key>MaxPowerState</key>
-                               <integer>4</integer>
-                       </dict>
-                       <key>IOProbeScore</key>
-                       <integer>0</integer>
-                       <key>IOProviderClass</key>
-                       <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
-                       <key>IORegistryEntryChildren</key>
-                       <array>
-                               <dict>
-                                       <key>AAPL,current-extra-in-sleep</key>
-                                       <integer>500</integer>
... etc.

Together, the ioreg xml output files are 50K lines, so I figured I'd
try to spare everyone the pain (but I do have them and can attach them
in private mail in case you think they're worth a second look).

Thanks,
--Gabriel