qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 em

From: Jd Lyons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 emulation.
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:28:55 -0500

On Feb 16, 2017, at 6:58 AM, Jd Lyons <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2017, at 10:16 PM, G 3 <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 15, 2017, at 10:02 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:03:10 -0500
From: Jd Lyons <address@hidden>
To: Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden>,
address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding
Voodoo2 emulation.

On Feb 15, 2017, at 2:07 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15/02/17 13:32, Jd Lyons wrote:

Hmmmmm??? I think I downloaded it correctly, as a submodule, but I don?t understand how to build it?

I thought I was building it with the sconce I had downloaded for other site, but now I see, that changes I make to the pci_daatabase.c are having no effect, that?s why I?m ending up with a black screen, no boot, in Open Bios, whenever I try to add a device that isn?t in the pic_databsae.c.

No, you'll need to install a ppc cross-compiler (unless you're native
PPC) and use that to build the new binary.

There are plenty of tutorials on the web as to how to build a
cross-compiler so I'd suggest getting that set up first; then once
that's done take a look at the OpenBIOS wiki at
https://www.openfirmware.info/OpenBIOS for build instructions.

There is also a separate OpenBIOS mailing list which is more on-topic
for OpenBIOS-related discussion so I'd suggest moving the discussions on
setting up the build environment over there.

Thanks Mark, I was a little confuse what Cross-complier I needed.

I was wondering how you plan on implementing the Voodoo2 video card. Reverse engineer a driver? Port already existing voodoo2 emulation code to QEMU? Use documentation on Voodoo2 register layout?

I planned on porting the code from Bochs, but it seems heavily dependent on a bunch of Bochs specific bx_ calls, bot really modular. I may try the code from Dosbox, and see if it’s more modular. Baring that I’ll have to write it all from scratch.

Does anyone know where the default Display NDRV comes from in Qemu-PPC?

I keep getting an NDRV that is for Non-existant hardware:

32119270913_c9e5313cf5_b.jpg

32119268253_4b888357c6_b.jpg

If I use a version of Qemu, that has been modified to Upload the Qemu,VGA NDRV, I can change screen resolutions, and bit depth in OS 9/X, but if I hand Qemu the FCode rom to match the Video device I am emulating, it doesn’t read the NDRV from the FCode rom, I get this default Non-exsistan hardware NDRV.

Is this coming from Qemu, I.E. is it a file I can change when I build Qemu/Openbios, or is it the Mac OS that is loading this NDRV?

I tried using the FCode rom, and uploading that when I build Qemu, and it does upload the proper rom to 0x30, and I can dump it with Macsbugs, so I know it’s the correct file, but even when I boot OS X with the boot-args=romndrv=1, it doesn’t load the NDRV from the FCode rom.