qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 em

From: Jd Lyons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 emulation.
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:11:34 -0500

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 10:45 AM, G 3 <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 9:29 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:28:55 -0500
>> From: Jd Lyons <address@hidden>
>> To: address@hidden
>> Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding
>>      Voodoo2 emulation.

>>> I planned on porting the code from Bochs, but it seems heavily dependent on
>>> a bunch of Bochs specific bx_ calls, bot really modular. I may try the code
>>> from Dosbox, and see if it?s more modular. Baring that I?ll have to write
>>> it all from scratch.
>>>

>> Does anyone know where the default Display NDRV comes from in Qemu-PPC?
>
> I think it comes from the pc-bios folder. That is found in the root level of
> your QEMU folder.

I know that Qemu loads vgabios-stdvga.bin, by default, I changed it to Load the
Rom from the Voodoo4, when I emulate the Voodoo4, or the Rage128Pro, when I
emulate that. The Option Rom does load in the correct address for the VGA card,
but the NDRV from the Option Rom, does not load. I can not find any NDRV in the
PC-bios folder, and the file vgabios-stdvga.bin, does not appear to contain an
NDRV, or a PCI Header.

>> I keep getting an NDRV that is for Non-existant hardware:
>>
>> 32119270913_c9e5313cf5_b.jpg
>> <http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2340/32119270913_c9e5313cf5_b.jpg>
>>
>> 32119268253_4b888357c6_b.jpg
>> <http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3945/32119268253_4b888357c6_b.jpg>
>>
>> If I use a version of Qemu, that has been modified to Upload the Qemu,VGA
>> NDRV, I can change screen resolutions, and bit depth in OS 9/X, but if I
>> hand Qemu the FCode rom to match the Video device I am emulating, it doesn?t
>> read the NDRV from the FCode rom, I get this default Non-exsistan hardware
>> NDRV.
>
> I think the NDRV doesn't match the Voodoo2 video card. The driver you are
> probably using is made to only work with QEMU's VGA card. I don't know very
> much about the Voodoo2 video card, but if it can be used in a VGA mode, then
> it might be possible to use that NDRV.

The Voodoo2 did not have an option rom, so there is no NDRV, unless it comes
from the 3DFX extensions. It was not a VGA card, it only supported VGA
passthrough, with a special cable from whatever VGA card was in your Mac/PC.

>> Is this coming from Qemu, I.E. is it a file I can change when I build
>> Qemu/Openbios, or is it the Mac OS that is loading this NDRV?
>
> It is the Mac OS that reads and loads this file. But I think its possible to
> use that NDRV in OpenBIOS as well. Just never tried it before.

I’ve tried to extract the NDRV from the Rage128, and the Voodoo4 FCode Rom, but
when I use them, I get a Kernel Panic in OS X, and the Grey Screen never loads
for OS 9, I get stuck at the Openbios screen, after it loads \\:tbxi. I must
not be extracting the NDRV’s correctly, or they are incomparable with the VGA
that Qemu is emulating.

>> I tried using the FCode rom, and uploading that when I build Qemu, and it
>> does upload the proper rom to 0x30, and I can dump it with Macsbugs, so I
>> know it?s the correct file, but even when I boot OS X with the
>> boot-args=romndrv=1, it doesn?t load the NDRV from the FCode rom.
>
> For some reason your single quotes appear as question marks. Look at
> "doesn't”:
I do not know why it does that when I use contractions.

>> when I boot OS X with the boot-args=romndrv=1, it doesn?t load the NDRV

Thanks G3,

JD