qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 em

From: Jd Lyons
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] (What happened to the pci_databases.c?) Adding Voodoo2 emulation.
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 13:28:12 -0500

On Feb 16, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Jd Lyons <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 16, 2017, at 12:37 PM, G 3 <address@hidden> wrote:

I know that Qemu loads vgabios-stdvga.bin, by default, I changed it to Load the Rom from the Voodoo4, when I emulate the Voodoo4, or the Rage128Pro, when I emulate that.

You figured out how to emulate an ATI Rage 128 Pro? How?

I’m not really emulating the Rage 128 chip, itself, just building it in the Device Tree and Name Space, but it’s enough to get the OS X driver for the card to load. The OS 9 drivers try to load, but for some reason they fail, I really need a good article or book that explains how Classic Mac OS drivers are matched with Hardware.

In OS X PPC, the ATI drivers just look for the raw Vendor and Device ID’s. You can put a PC Bios ATI card in a PPC Mac, and the ATI drivers will load, even tho there is no FCode Rom. You won’t get any display from the ATI card, but you can use it as a Rendering device on any VGA card. It will render OpenGL apps on the ATI chip, across the PCI, or AGP bus, to whatever VGA card you have installed in your Mac, even if that VGA card does not have any drivers for OS X.