Re: [Qexo-general] XqlServlet

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] XqlServlet
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:41:56 -0800

Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
Yes, I certainly am. This is the hardest thing to do.
BTW, do you plan to share code or ideas with Xalan XLSTC?

I don't recall hearing anything about XLSTC before.
I'm happe to share code and idea, but time is of
course limited.  (And of course the Apache license is
problem, as it may be incompatible with the GPL.)

If you expect people to actually try to write non-trivial webapps with QEXO,
then an XqlServlet is definitely a step in the right direction.

I had hoped at some time to write the glue to have Qexo servlets
work as easily as JSP - I've just been distracted.

That's what I would like to help with.

That would be very welcome!

Actually I think [$request/pathInfo etc] is a "nice" kludge.
I would suggest offloading the work to something like JXPath.
If you are not familiar with it, look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jxpath/users-guide.html
See the "Servlet Context" section.

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of this.  (There are just too many
Apache sub-projects to keep track of!)

Givn Qexo's compiler-focus I suspect it would not be useful
to use the JXPath imlementation, but it may be reasonable to
support the same XPath syntax on Java beans.  The goal of
efficient compilation does of course complicate things.
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/