Re: [Qexo-general] How to use fn:input()

From: Ivelin Ivanov
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] How to use fn:input()
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:58:23 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Denis Goeury" <address@hidden>
To: "'Ivelin Ivanov'" <address@hidden>; "'Per Bothner'" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 10:13 AM

> Hi Ivelin,
>
> I had a look at msg00053. IMHO, QEXO doesn't need to be tied to the
> servlet world. If it could be working in a standalone way it would be
> much more flexible and it could always be embedded in a servlet if
> needed. For fn:input(), I was thinking about something like:
>
> XQuery xq = new XQuery();
> xq.setInput(source);
>
> Where 'source' could be an InputStream, URL, File, Reader, Document or
> something similar. I also like the concept of XQueryContext used by
> Oracle because it clearly separates the context from the query itself.

My proposal and yours are not mutually exclusive.
I am thinking about a useful way to implement input() for a web environment,
such that the xql scripts do not need to use non-standard functions.
xq.setInput(source) looks good for an API. It should probably result in
CallContext.setInput(source).

> The problem with fn:input() is that it still gives only one input
> source. How can you bind multiple sources to a query?

Wouldn't the document() function do what you need?

Ivelin