Re: [Quilt-dev] How to delete a file from the patch list...

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] How to delete a file from the patch list...
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:16:45 +0200

On Monday 30 May 2005 16:44, Raj, Ashok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have couple questions. Iam new to quilt, and just converted over to
> these from akpm's patch scripts. So pardon me if iam asking the obvious.
> If there is an alternate way, let me know as well.
>
> 1. If I have a file I need to drop from the current patch, what would I
> do?
>
> Quilt delete, drops the entire patch right? is there an equivalent of
> quilt remove file, which will do a rollback of just that file, and
> remove that from this patch file list would be great.

What's wrong with the remove command?

> 2. Controlled email, sometimes Iam in the process of emailing via quilt
> mail, but it would be nice if it asks for a confirmation before sending.
>
> - Reason is once I do quilt mail, there is no way to abort the mail.

Write to an mbox and later send the mbox.

> 3. Is there a way to send directly from whats in a constructed mbox?
>
> - I would like to do quilt mail --mbox <mbox_name>
>
> Once I verify its just as I like it, is there a way to push what ever is
> there just like
> --send option, but from the mbox file?

Use formail(1). It's actually mentioned in the mail command help.

  formail -s /usr/sbin/sendmail -t < mbox

> 4. Can we add some delay between mails being sent? This would make sure
> it gives time to receive them in order. Often I see mails sent later
> arrive earlier, if we can pause about some configurable time it would
> help order of reception.

It wouldn't really fix the problem: mails to "distant" recipients might still
get reordered. One way to ensure proper ordering is to thread the patches
themselves, but that is conceptually broken. The result would be a mail
thread like this:

  [1/4] Patch one
   +-- [2/4] Patch two
        +-- [3/4] Patch three
             +-- [4/4] Patch four

> 5. If I split the patches in different directories, how do I put the
> names in the series file?
>
> Should I say
>
> #quilt new dir/xx.patch

Yes.

> If so, can quilt create the dir if it doenst exist?

Yes. You could have easily tried that out, too.

-- Andreas.