Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/8]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/8]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:51:58 +0100

Jean Delvare wrote:
Hi Gary,

Salut Jean,

[Gary V. Vaughan]

Unless compiled specially just to avoid it, bash gives an occasional
disconcerting (but spurious) warning when a process at the receiving
side of a shell pipe closes before the sender has flushed all of its
data.

I consider this to be a bug in bash. Half of the major Linux
distributions do patch the bash they package to prevent this problem, so
I am not alone.

Agreed.  But it is common practice to work around bugs in tools you
depend on if they have a significant installed base...

`quilt refresh' is particularly prone.

True, but there are several other cases where the case can trigger.

I would've fixed those too as I tripped over them...

This patch simply redirects stderr to /dev/null in the one instance
that seems to be the root of the problem, and thus saves the bother
of recompiling bash.

Redirecting stderr to /dev/null is not an acceptable solution, sorry.

Why not?

There must be a middle ground between expecting a significant proportion
of the installed user base to compile a special bash just for quilt at
one extreme, and have them put up with spurious error messages at the
other?

See my post on this topic 4 months ago:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2005-05/msg00031.html
It got no answer unfortunately.

Easy test: $ cvs diff | (exit 1)

The only thing we can do is probably to document the problem, and ask
remaining distributions (Linux or not) to apply the patch fixing the
problem when building their bash package. Maybe then the bash folks will
finally agree that this should be made the default.

So when bash 3.1 comes out in 2007, and vendors release OSes that adopt it 6 months later, it might reach widespread in about 3 or 4 years.
I still think a user friendly work around until then is perfectly
reasonable!

Cheers,
        Gary.
--