Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/8]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] [patch 2/8]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:43:16 +0100

G'day Peter,

Peter Williams wrote:
> In gquilt, I was able to avoid this problem by replacing the SIGPIPE
> handler with the default signal handler whenever I run a quilt command
> from within gquilt (and then restoring the original handler afterwards).
>  Isn't there a mechanism whereby bash scripts can do something similar?
>  E.g. Chapter 8 of the 3rd edition of "Learning the bash shell" has a
> subsection entitled "Ignoring Signals" (page 212).

I played with SIGPIPE traps before I settled on the /dev/null hack,
so I don't think it works the same way in bash.  Also the manual says:

        Trapped  signals are reset to their original values in a
        child process when it is created.  The return status is
        false if any sigspec is invalid; otherwise trap returns
        true.

I've just installed a quilt with a SIGPIPE trap though, I'll post again
if it seems to be working in a day or two...

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}