Re: [RP] Re: Completion

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: Completion
Date: Thu Aug 29 20:43:02 2002

Henrik Enberg <address@hidden> writes:

> Gergely Nagy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Tab completion is one of the nicest UI inventions ever, so I'd say it is a
> >> natural fit for Ratpoison.
> >
> > Indeed, tab completion can be very useful!

It can?? Tell me, how often do you need to tab complete commands? What
sort of commands are you people using? Speaking for myself I rarely
type any commands except in my .ratpoisonrc file. All the frequently
used commands are bound to keystrokes and if they aren't you can bind
them. I really don't see why we need to tab complete command names.

> > However, this is the kind of thing that can perfectly be implemented
> > outside of RP. Simply write up an X application, that displays a
> > ratpoison-like input bar, and utilise libreadline (for example) to do
> > the dirty work of completion. Much less hassle to code, methinks. And
> > won't bloat RP much :)
>
> I must say that this is a very strange notion of bloat.  Not uncommon,
> but still strange.  To do this outside of ratpoison one would have to
> duplicate hundreds of lines of code, including keeping track of what
> commands ratpoison has.  So, all this plus more memory usage, slower
> speed, harder to maintain and possibly less functionality just to save
> less that 500 lines of self-contained code in RP?
>
> Personally, I feel that would be more bloated.  When considering such
> things I think you need to take the whole system in account and not just
> a single app.

He's got a good point, Gergely.

But seriously guys. Tab completing commands? What are you, hard up for
writing code? You're going to have to provide me with a damn slick
argument to get tab completion into the source. But...I'm willing to
put something in that will list all the possible commands.

We're going to have to fork ratpoison here pretty soon if this sort of
thing keeps up into ratpoison proper and fatpoison.

--
Shawn