Re: [RP] Completion

From: Doug Kearns
Subject: Re: [RP] Completion
Date: Fri Aug 30 00:45:01 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 05:43:05PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > Tab completion is one of the nicest UI inventions ever, so I'd say it is a
> > natural fit for Ratpoison.
>
> Indeed, tab completion can be very useful!

Indeed.

> However, this is the kind of thing that can perfectly be implemented
> outside of RP. Simply write up an X application, that displays a
> ratpoison-like input bar, and utilise libreadline (for example) to do
> the dirty work of completion.

I have a crufty line editing patch which includes GNU History support
and most of the common line editing commands along with paste support
here: http://mugca.its.monash.edu.au/~djkea2/ratpoison/

It used to have command completion but I didn't find myself using it too
much. I could try and dredge it up if anyone is interested.

Personally I think it would be better to allow for commands to be
specified using short names like Vim. You only need to type in
enough of the command to identify it, so 'kill' would just be 'k'.

It's just an example Shawn. :-)

Readline generally assumes a terminal environment. It seemed like too
much work to me to try and use it here. I'd like to be proven wrong
though.

> Much less hassle to code, methinks. And won't bloat RP much :)

I tend to agree. But following this philosophy, I think a lot of code
could be cut out. See the help patch at the above URL for an example.

<snip>

Regards,
Doug