Re: [RP] Re: resize patch

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Wed Feb 12 08:10:07 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> Henrik Enberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Wicked.  Should it have a keybinding?  'r' is free and it seems pretty
> > intuitive.
>
> Hi Henrik,
>
> I'm not sure if I want to give it a key binding by default. I think
> it's not such a frequent command that it needs one by default :). But
> then some people might not think so. What do others think?

Hey guys,

I must say, I just cvs updated and checked out this new :resize
feature, and its pretty neat!  It almost makes split screen useful.

A couple comments though:

* There is no indication that you have entered resize mode.  Perhaps a
  message should pop up indicating the change of state.  Depending on
  how verbose we want to be, one of (maybe based on some verbosity
  setting):

  - "resize mode: C-n for deeper, C-p for shallower, C-f for wider, C-b for
narrower, ENTER to quit"
  - "resize mode: ENTER to quit"
  - "resize mode"
  - ""

  In addition, we ought to use another cursor to indicate that we are
  in a new state.  XC_sizing looks like a good one to me.

* C-g and ESC should take you out of resize mode.  Think emacs or vi
  here; if you get confused about where you are you hit C-g or ESC to
  return to a known state.  Or perhaps it should be kept the way it
  is, and instead C-g should cancel the action, returning your windows
  to their original sizes before you did :resize.

  I suppose the Right Thing would be to offer subcommands that allow
  this all of this, and implement proper nested configurable
  keybindings for such submodes.  Ya, I know, "show me the code".

As for the default keybinding issue, my thinking is that unless there
is something that might be used more frequently that would properly
live under 'r' we should give :resize that keybinding.  The keys WANT
to be bound to SOMETHING, that's what they are there for, right?
Aside from calling a function with arguments, I think the only reason
to ever need to call function with C-: should be because there is no
other place to stuff it into the saturated keymap.

That's what I think :)

Ryan