Re: [RP] Re: resize patch

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Fri Feb 14 09:35:02 2003

address@hidden writes:

>> I'm wondering, though, why there is a special resize state/mode?  Why
>> not have commands for deeper, shallower, etc., without going into a
>> special mode?  Emacs, for example, has pretty much these commands,
>> but you don't need to go into a special mode for them.
>
> Hi Jay,
>
> If you supply 0 arguments to the resize command it is interactive. If you
> supply 2 arguments, the first argument is the number of pixels to resize
> horizontally and the other vertically. To shrink, provide negative
> arguments.

I see how it works, I just find the interactivity a bit odd.  It's as
if to split windows, you entered a special split mode, which provided
bindings to split the windows for you, and allowed you to leave the
special split mode when you were done splitting.
(It doesn't really matter to me, I've bound keys to allow me to
resize interactively at any time.  I just find the current behavior a
bit odd, but that's probably just me.)

>> The only advantage of having a special resize mode is to be able to
>> leave it and restore the original settings.
>
> Well, there is that, which hasn't been implemented yet. And when you resize
> I think it's easier to fine tune the frame size interactively than by
> repeating the command over and over (which is available to you if you want
> it).

My next comment was not a feature request, it was something I wouldn't
use.  I was thinking aloud of any advantages of having a special
resize mode, and how else to get it.

>> I'm not sure how
>> important that is though; it seems to me that it'd be more useful to
>> be able to save a window configuration and recall it later.  (I
>> realize that this is somewhat close to workspaces, but I don't think
>> it's there, and for example emacs has this capability.)
>
> Yes, this is in the works :). More patches to be applied Real Soon Now(tm),
> I Promise(tm), No Really(tm), This Time For Sure(not like last time)(tm),
> Believe Me(tm), Please(tm),Honestly I Mean C'Mon Now(tm),This Is Me We're
> Talking About(tm).

Wow, that was fast!  I just checked out the latest CVS, and the
save/restore window configuration command is really nice!  I didn't
think I'd use it, but now I don't know how I got along without it!  I
noticed the documentation wasn't updated to describe the new save and
restore window configuration commands, but they're pretty intuitive
anyhow.

Jay