Re: [RP] Re: resize patch

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: resize patch
Date: Thu Feb 13 11:50:05 2003

Ryan Yeske <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey guys,
>
> I must say, I just cvs updated and checked out this new :resize
> feature, and its pretty neat!  It almost makes split screen useful.

I've always found split screen useful, but the resize command is
pretty nice.

> A couple comments though:
>
> * There is no indication that you have entered resize mode.  Perhaps a
>   message should pop up indicating the change of state.  Depending on
>   how verbose we want to be, one of (maybe based on some verbosity
>   setting):
>
>   - "resize mode: C-n for deeper, C-p for shallower, C-f for wider,
>   C-b for narrower, ENTER to quit"
>   - "resize mode: ENTER to quit"
>   - "resize mode"
>   - ""

I'm wondering, though, why there is a special resize state/mode?  Why
not have commands for deeper, shallower, etc., without going into a
special mode?  Emacs, for example, has pretty much these commands,
but you don't need to go into a special mode for them.

The only advantage of having a special resize mode is to be able to
leave it and restore the original settings.  I'm not sure how
important that is though; it seems to me that it'd be more useful to
be able to save a window configuration and recall it later.  (I
realize that this is somewhat close to workspaces, but I don't think
it's there, and for example emacs has this capability.)

Jay