[RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: [RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea
Date: Fri Apr 4 00:07:18 2003

--- Begin Message --- Subject: ratpoison idea Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:54:04 -0700 User-agent: Gnus/5.090003 (Oort Gnus v0.03) XEmacs/21.4 (Common Lisp)

I don't know how feasible this might be, but: it would be neat to
combine the idea of smaller windows from LarsWM and/or the idea of
sort of iconic-windows from Enlightenment so that either all the time
or when you do C-t w, you see:

+-----+------------------------+
|     |                        |
|     |                        |
|-----|                        |
|     |                        |
|     |                        |
|-----|                        |
|     |                        |
|     |                        |
|-----|                        |
|     |                        |
|     |                        |
+-----+------------------------+

With the strip on the left being miniaturised versions of any windows
you can't see (ideally, these would display updated, shrunken images
of whatever the "real" [full-screen] windows are doing). Obviously,
somewhat resource-hungry I would imagine, but...

Is this even possible with X? (That is, can you get a window to redraw
itself if it's not even on-screen?)

The little-windows could have numbers in their corners so one can
easily do a C-t 0 or whatever to go to a window in which something
interesting just happened (like maybe your log-tailer just produced a
bunch of new output or something).

Thoughts?

Mike, ratpoison fan,

PS: a friend almost died laughing when I told him, ``all you need to
do to get a browser is type control tee and then exclamation mark,
then type mozilla and hit return. Then control-tee and capital
Q.''. Well, actually the laughing was when he realized I was serious
;)

Cheers,

- --
mike [at] mike [dash] warren [dot] com
<URL:http://www.mike-warren.com>
gpg --keyserver 80.71.227.37 --recv-key 579911BD
87F2 4D98 BDB0 0E90 EE2A 0CF9 1087 0884 5799 11BD

``I piss down the throats of these Nazis.''
   --Hunter S. Thompson on the current US Presidency

--- End Message ---