Re: [RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea
Date: Fri Apr 4 09:31:38 2003

Florian Cramer <address@hidden> writes:

> I am seriously concerned about conventional window management creeping
> into ratpoison. - Better leave it as it is, a lean and mean fullscreen
> window manager with vim-/screen-style split frames. IMHO, the current
> frame resizing code should do the job of creating a larswm-like screen
> layout (as shown in the ASCII art screenshot). Maybe one could create a
> sample .ratpoisonrc for that.

Well Florian, frankly, it scares me too. There's no way something like
this would get in rp core. Out of curiousity, what conventional window
management are you afraid of? Is splitting and resizing pushing the
limit?

> It just confuses me that the new frame resizing commands use
> Emacs-style keybindings while the rest of Ratpoison uses vi-ish
> keybindings (inherented via GNU screen).

The resize keys are bit kludgy. Perhaps bindings for hjkl as well as
fbpn would be appropriate?

> Just my 0.5 Euro as non-developing luser...

Thanks Florian, it's nice to have some good old fashioned conservatism
around here with all the wank that's being thrown around these days.

Shawn