Re: [RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea

From: Florian Cramer
Subject: Re: [RP] [Mike Warren <address@hidden>] ratpoison idea
Date: Fri Apr 4 05:46:12 2003

Am Freitag, 04. April 2003 um 09:40:53 Uhr (+0000) schrieb Simon White:

> That would be cool, eye-candy type of thing, but you'd have to put in a
> lot of work, right? It's like taking a screenshot, reducing it, and then
> displaying it in each window... hmmm.

I think it is a crude hack - in X11, as opposed to Windows and MacOS, a
window can have _any_ shape and policy. So the clean way would be to
reduce the size of the application window itself instead of creating a
crude reduced icon snapshot.

I am seriously concerned about conventional window management creeping
into ratpoison. - Better leave it as it is, a lean and mean fullscreen
window manager with vim-/screen-style split frames. IMHO, the current
frame resizing code should do the job of creating a larswm-like screen
layout (as shown in the ASCII art screenshot). Maybe one could create a
sample .ratpoisonrc for that.

It just confuses me that the new frame resizing commands use
Emacs-style keybindings while the rest of Ratpoison uses vi-ish
keybindings (inherented via GNU screen).

Just my 0.5 Euro as non-developing luser...

-F

--
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~cantsin/homepage/
http://www.complit.fu-berlin.de/institut/lehrpersonal/cramer.html