Re: [RP] Pretty fonts

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] Pretty fonts
Date: Fri Apr 25 08:57:19 2003

*SCREAM*  *RUN AROUND ROOM, WAVING ARMS MADLY*

Not more bloody vector fonts!!!

OK, so now on my 17" 2048x<something> CRT it's not so bad, but on my 800x6
laptops getting small fonts is really hard without bitmap fonts.  Have
you tried to get something with more font than hint at pt6 in TT?
(This is why I avoid GTK2 like the plague.)

With bitmap fonts I can get 250x100 chars w/ scumacher-clean (a bit
more w/fixed, but no extended chars).

If vector fonts ever make it into main branch, please keep it a (compile-time)
option.
-trent

Quoth "Joshua Neuheisel" <address@hidden>
>  Hello all,
>
>  Have you ever wondered what ratpoison would look like (as though a =
>  window manager looks like anything) with fonts rendered with the =
>  beautiful FreeType extensions to X?  I did, so I put together a patch =
>  that adds Xft support to ratpoison.  Xft is the X interface library to =
>  the FreeType font rendering library.  With this patch, you can view =
>  ratpoison's window list and license page in full anti-aliased glory.
>
>  $> cvs -d [blah, blah, blah] co ratpoison

If you add -z9, you'll use about two-thirds less bandwidth.

>  That's it!  Enjoy.  As always, feedback is welcome.
>
>  Joshua

PS: A couple of people have mentioned wanting to next-track in xmms.  You can
do this:

C-t ! xmms -f <RET>

(also -p = play, -s = stop ...)