Re: [RP] sleep (was neat trick)

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] sleep (was neat trick)
Date: Fri Apr 25 09:05:05 2003

Quoth Caleb Shay <address@hidden>
>  While I'm posting, I'd like to throw in a feature request, and it SHOULD
>  be a really easy one to implement.  I want a "sleep N" command which
>  just keeps ratpoison from executing any commands for N seconds.  Why?
>  Because, as you can see, I use a fairly complex frame layout with a few
>  programs that are slow to launch, if I just put the various exec
>  commands + splits + vsplits into my .ratpoisonrc, my applications end up
>  in a different frame every time I start since depending on how long it
>  takes the window to map, a different frame may have focus.
>
>  Cheers,
>  Caleb

I agree sleep() would probably be useful, but surely it would be
better to just execute the stuff synchronously somehow?  So the RP
stops until the other program has finished loading.  I think there's
some stuff about a Sync message in Xlib spec somewhere (mighta been
ICCCM), but I'm too stupid to understand || remember it.

A syncX command would be groovy.  Maybe it should be a util, not in the main
code, tho.

-twb