[RP] Re: neat trick

From: Henrik Enberg
Subject: [RP] Re: neat trick
Date: Mon Apr 28 23:45:08 2003

Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:

> I installed KDE for my brother the other day. I found that on many
> apps KDE indicates that it's waiting for the app to start by showing
> an hour glass. The moment the window opens, the hour glass goes
> away. If we could figure out how this is done, I think this would help
> us to solve the above problems.

The extended window manager hints and/or the Gnome and KDE libs has
something called "startup notification", which is supposed to
cross-compatible between the desktop environments.  I think it requires
support in the individual app, though.

The EWHM also has an atom called "_NET_WM_PID", but I'm not sure how
that is supposed to be used.