[rdiff-backup-users] Use of --remove-older-than

From: Tim Allen
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Use of --remove-older-than
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:39:24 -0000

Hi

I've been using rdiff-backup 0.10.1 for some time now to backup a directory
tree on a primary server to a backup machine. I have been going through the
documentation trying to decide on the correct use of --remove-old-than to
trim back part of the backup tree on the backup machine, but would
appreciate a bit of clarification.

Basically, I do a daily backup from machine 1 to backup machine golux with:

rdiff-backup /shared golux::/shared

I wish to prune back old files on the backup but only in one particular
subdirectory /shared/Common

I have tried

rdiff-backup -v6 --include golux::/shared/Common --remove-older-than 120D
golux::/shared

and rdiff-backup states I should use --force. (See
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2003-03/msg00052.html
 ).

rdiff-backup -v6 --force --include golux::/shared/Common --remove-older-than
120D golux::/shared

seems to delete more than just /shared/Common (i.e. it's going through other
subdirectories of /shared).

Can anyone advise on what the correct set of switches should be to do this?

Thanks

Tim Allen