Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Use of --remove-older-than

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Use of --remove-older-than
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:12:23 -0800

  TA> I wish to prune back old files on the backup but only in one
  TA> particular subdirectory /shared/Common

Sorry, this is not supported right now.  You can only remove old files
for all of the destination directory or none of it.  There are
basically two reasons for this:

1) It might be confusing to users.  For instance, suppose someone then
   did a full restore to some time where some increments were present
   and some had been deleted.  The result wouldn't be the directory at
   any particular time, but a mismash of times depending on the
   directory.

2) In the newer versions, the metadata files contain information about
   all the files.  To remove information about only some old files,
   these files would have to be filtered and then rebuilt.

Perhaps you should just have two rdiff-backup sessions, one for
/shared/Common and one for everything else.  Then you could
use --remove-older-than independently on the two.

I added a note on the man page under --remove-older-than saying the
file selection options wouldn't affect it.

--
Ben Escoto