Re: [rdiff-backup-users] failure backing up to windows partition

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] failure backing up to windows partition
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:46:25 -0800

  P> What about having an option in rdiff-backup which defines which
  P> user.group the files should be saved as, independed from the
  P> --windows-mode. This would tackle the 'mounted-as'- problem, not
  P> only the ntfs-partition (is this really safe yet?)  but any where
  P> the ownership is not truly supported (smbfs, vfat, etc...).

I guess there are three choices:
1) No chown, just leave files with default ownership
2) chown to replicate the source directory's permissions
3) chown every file to a specific user

I'm still a bit unclear on which of these is needed when, and if there
is a way to tell automatically.  Right now (in cvs) the policy is to
go with 1) unless the writing side is root and --windows-mode has not
been specified.  But apparently this is bad for cygwin.

Anyway, are you suggesting 3)?  When 3 is necessary, maybe
rdiff-backup could just be run owned by the user we want to own
everything.  Then 1) would have the same effect as 3).

--
Ben Escoto