Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Trying to backup and restore root-partition...
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:37:47 -0800

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:11:35 +0100 Oliver Kaltenecker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Maybe I am wrong, but I understand the term --exclude* in a way, that
> the matching files are not considered for syncing in either direction,
> neither backup nor restore.

If a file or directory gets excluded, then rdiff-backup acts as if it
does not exist on the source side.  If a file does not exist on the
source side, then rdiff-backup does not think it should exist on the
destination side, and deletes it.

The --exclude semantics were designed for backing up, where this makes
sense IMHO, and only added to restoring later, where they don't make
sense, as your bug report demonstrates.

Sometime soon (next week?) I will try to make the --exclude options make
more sense when restoring.

--
Ben Escoto