Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-Backup always fails

From: Robert Tafner
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-Backup always fails
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 12:56:43 +0100

Keith Edmunds <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Well, I have already seen this Exception. But if I reboot the
> > machine, the system partition has got 8% allocation as before
> > the backup. If the backup is really made to my system
> > partition it should be filled with 100% after a reboot,
> > shouldn't it?
>
> Some distributions clear out some directories (eg /tmp) when
> booting, so not necessarily. Can you establish where the data
> is when the root partition becomes full? (Just in case you need
> a hand with that, "du -sh *" in the root directory will point
> you in the right direction).

Well, you"re right. I've seen that /tmp is about 980MB. My whole
system partition has got about 1GB so that"s the reason. So I
took a look at /tmp. Here"s what it contains:

:/tmp# ls -la
total 965400
drwxrwxrwt    2 root     root         4096 Dec  8 06:26 .
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root         4096 Dec  3 09:27 ..
-rw-------    1 root     root     12582864 Dec  8 02:01 @621.0
-rw-------    1 root     root     963334144 Dec  8 02:37 @621.1

These two files were created when the backup started. Do you know
what they contain? And can you tell me how to solve this problem.
As mentioned in the first eMail the backup worked for a long
time, so the problem can"t be the size of the system partition...

thanks for your help

Robert

--
Robert Tafner