Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:47:25 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Alec Berryman wrote:

> rdiff-backup has no concept of backup levels and cannot selectively
> purge revisions.  If you want to emulate backup levels with
> rdiff-backup, you're going to need a lot more space and use a separate
> backup location for each level, which more or less negates any benefit
> gained from using levels.

Not really. The way the other programs I mentioned (dirvish and
faubackup) handle it is they maintain a full copy of the data from the
backup host. They then use hard links between files when no change is
made. Changed files are made from scratch and then, if they don't changed,
are linked to, so very little space is lost.

Keeping specific versions then becomes trivial, since every version is a
full.

- Serge Wroclawski