Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted RPath objects? Also a path prefixing patch
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:39:44 -0500

Ben Escoto wrote:

Well I don't really understand your setup yet, but it seems any way
you do it, the client will have to authenticate itself to the server
somehow.  The script can just check these credentials in the same way
your patched rdiff-backup would.
It's not a matter of credentials -- I trust the client's credentials, or it wouldn't have been able to make the connection (I *do* have a quite strong authentication mechanism in place -- that's the whole VPN thing I've been prattling about). The issue is not allowing a "trusted" client in posession of a third party (this client being legitimately authenticated to make and retrieve its own backups) to retrieve files belonging to another third party. This could easily happen if one of our client boxen is subverted by the third party who has physical control of the hardware it runs on.

Consequently, the client should have the ability to connect to the server and make backup and restore requests -- but those requests should be applied within its own private namespace. Applying a host-specific prefix to the path it retrieves files from or stores them to seems the easiest way to enforce this private-namespace policy; thus, a patched version of rdiff-backup.

- Extra overhead/complexity from SSH
 I brought this concern up earlier, and it hasn't been answered. Why
bother with host keys, RSA authentication, and (unless disabled)
encryption overhead when there's already a VPN in place providing a
guarantee that the hosts are who they say they are?

You need some way of setting up a pipe from one server to the other.
Yes, I have one (netcat on the client, tcpsvd on the server). That's fine, it works -- but it rules out the (SSH-based) multi-server authentication mechansims which have been thus far suggested (and which I don't have a need for anyhow, on account of the VPN).