Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SECURITY: Not all file ops accessed via vetted RPath objects? Also a path prefixing patch
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:19:00 -0500

> Yes, I have one (netcat on the client, tcpsvd on the server). That's
> fine, it works -- but it rules out the (SSH-based) multi-server
> authentication mechansims which have been thus far suggested (and which
> I don't have a need for anyhow, on account of the VPN).

Well I was just suggesting using usernames..  Like instead of having
the server run

    rdiff-backup --restrict XXXX --force-path-prefix XXXX --server

you could have it run

    cd XXXX; sudo -u YYYYY rdiff-backup --restrict . --server

to avoid patching rdiff-backup and for an additional layer of
security.  Anyway it's up to you, I'm mainly posting to say I think
the security bug is fixed in CVS.  Thank you for the report.

--
Ben Escoto