[rdiff-backup-users] Version difference problem

From: feffer
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Version difference problem
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 01:39:02 -0400

I've been backing up my linux workstation with rdiff-backup. The backup server
runs debian stable (it is a Linksys NSLU), but the workstation runs debian sid.
As a result there is a version difference for rdiff on the two systems. On test
backups, rdiff always complains about this, but runs anyway. To keep the
version difference close, I "hold" rdiff on the ws. Because of the "hold" rdiff
got out of sync with some dependancies, I think, and dpkg showed it only "half"
installed. I got some errors in the backup.log as well. So I took the "hold"
off and let it upgrade to 1.1.17. However, on the server rdiff was ver. 1.1.14.
I guess this difference was too much and the backups failed.

To fix it, I went back and reinstalled testing ver 1.1.16 on the ws, and now
it's working again. This seems like a problem that will keep coming back
though. How can I work around this? Any ideas?  :(

Thx,
feffer