Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows Directory Permissions

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Windows Directory Permissions
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 08:46:42 -0500

On Mar 7, 2009, at 12:44 AM, tkeene wrote:
I'm using the latest rdiff-backup (1.3.2) in cygwin to backup one ntfs folder onto another ntfs drive. The backup and incrementing works great. But when it's done backing up the folder is no longer accessible to me (Windows won't let me open it). If I then run rdiff- backup with the --delete-older-than option on that folder it returns an error, saying I can't do that because the folder does not look like an rdiff folder.

Interesting. Does 1.2.7 behave the same way? Or only 1.3.2?

What happens if you use --no-acls ?

What are the permissions on the source folder? (The cacls command will tell you; if you're using Vista, you'll need to use icacls instead.)

I did some digging and it looks like rdiff-backup changes the permissions of the folder each time it increments, setting the folder to read-only and giving its owner no permissions on it, not even read permissions.

Where did you see that?

thanks,
Andrew