rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] 486 not 386

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] 486 not 386
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 23:43:44 -0700

This is getting a bit frustrating because I usually use a Dvorak keyboard layout, and the vi editor is very unintuitive. I'll need a lot of specific instructions to save me typing.

Part 1

From: Michael Fratoni <address@hidden>

Try booting the installer bootdisk, and bring up the network. Use
route to add the default gateway,

Done.

and enter:
ping 216.148.218.197
Let's see if we can ping a host that I know should respond.

Done, but it doesn't get a response. The error I get for anything except itself is, "No response from <whatever IP address>". I had to setup the loopback adapter for it to ping itself. Is this normal for everybody?

Also, the Rule computer couldn't even ping the computer sitting right next to it. I using this computer, connected to the Internet, as I type.

This computer can ping this computer and Rule computer.
Rule computer can ping Rule computer and nothing else.

The installer is probably working, but your network connection isn't. The
installer can't install files it can't access. :)
If you are unable to ping an external address, then an install from an
external http or ftp server isn't going to work.
<snip>

Yes, I am aware of that. Thank you. :-) Be careful with what you say about the installer, though. Even though I can't ping out, I still see the installer say,

No response from <whatever IP address>
Success!

I'm sure that we both know what it's talking about, but it does appear to be confusing to a newbie.

...more to come...

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong