rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] 486 not 386

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] 486 not 386
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 00:43:35 -0700

From: Michael Fratoni <address@hidden>
And I appreciate your patience. Are you refering to vi on the rule
machine?

Yes.

If so, try nano. It's easier to deal with.

Thanks, I will. It's much appreciated.

Hrmm, does 'ifconfig eth0' reveal anything useful?

I was going to say, "Not that I can tell.". Upon close inspection, everything seems to be working okay, except for the fact that RX packets and bytes are at 0. I did some monkeying around with the network card and the lights aren't doing what they were supposed to. I thought that was due to something else. Maybe I did a bad soldering job or soldered the wrong wires. I'll look into it a little more and get back to you. If it was the network card, I'm going to feel so bad for wasting so much of your time.

> Also, the Rule computer couldn't even ping the computer sitting right
> next to it. I using this computer, connected to the Internet, as I
> type.

Right. The interface isn't up, or the cable is bad, or.... Could be a lot
of things.

I just checked the pinging again, and this time I can't seem to ping the Rule computer from this one. It must be a hardware problem.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong