[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission o

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission o f Porgrama Administrativo para Pequeñas Or [yeupou@ gnu.org]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:53:05 +0100

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:58:06PM +0200, mathieu wrote:
> In fact, it's right that « savannah official language » is English : we
> need a popular language to permit everyone to cooperate - and english
> is the language that the most users knows.
> So you're welcome to give all the informations in English.
> But about the name, it seems to be a confusion. English name made it
> easier to understand to more people than swedish or whatever but you
> can give to your project the name you want. Balsa is balsa, batalla
> naval is batalla naval and I've never understood what means emacs.

Hi Mathieu,
I completely agree with you. A "name" such as "El Dorado", "Batalla Naval"
or "Jaime Enrique Villate Matiz" does not have to be translated; acronyms,
such as EMACS or AIDS should not be translated either.

But the "name" that John Lento is talking about is
  "Porgrama Administrativo para Pequeñas Organizaciones"

I think this no longer qualifies as a name, but it is rather a sentence that
describes what the package does. And if we accept other languages, we should
also be able to correct grammar and spelling (for instance "Porgrama" has been
mispelled) for which Savannah does not have enough resources at this point.

That explains also why John is upset about the fact that his package's "name"
was truncated.

Cheers,
Jaime