Re: [Savannah-hackers] sava nnah.gnu.org: submission of Porgrama Adminis

From: John Lenton
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] sava nnah.gnu.org: submission of Porgrama Administrativo para Pequeñas Or
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:42:57 -0300

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:39:46AM +0100, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> We think that all requirements are clearly written in the registration pages;
> in particular the need to provide a detailed and accurate description of the
> project is clearly stated in the page where the user fills in the description.
> If you feel that we are using unwritten requirements, please tell us
> specifically what requirements you mean and we will try to correct the
> registration pages.

The second paragraph in the Step 2 page says:

    If the GNU volunteers approve your project account, the
    account is to be used purely to meet the goals set forth in
    this statement. If you need to change this statement at any
    time, please inform the GNU volunteers and we will assist you
    in getting a new statement approved.

I don't remember having read this paragraph before; what it
_implies_ is that there is some kind of "approval" process, but
it doesn't clearly, explicitely state it. I think it could be
clearly staded, possibly in Step 1, something along the lines of
"Once you submit the request, volunteers will blah blah blah".
Something that tells me that all information submitted will be
read by a human before the project is created, *before* I reach
the final step. Somehow I missed the above paragraph, and I
believed the process was fully automatic. I therefore (the first
time) just put in placeholder descriptions; I am not the only
person working on the Project, and the Project Summary will
probably be written by somebody else.

Furtthermore I submitted the project name as its full in spanish,
and was pointed out that is should be in english as english was
the official language of savannah.

Also the system truncated the project name without any warning.

Had I known these three facts the first time round I would've
registered the project the way I did the second time, avoiding
all this rigmarole. While on the first point I am probably to
blame (although I maintain that it is rather obscure), the other
two came as surprises, and especially the requirement of english
aggrieved me.

--
John Lenton (address@hidden) -- Random fortune:
No dejes crecer la hierba en el camino de la amistad.