[Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctly?

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctly?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 19:51:59 +0300 (IDT)

I hope you remember me. Some time ago, I tried to submit two projects at
your service (Rindolf, and Logic Mazes Solver[1]) and after three rejects,
gave up, and decided to look for a different alternative. However, I could
not find something more suitable, so I decided to turn to you again,
hoping that Savannah and I can give each other another chance.

I am sending this E-mail to describe my project, solve all the
difficulties interactively, and make sure it is acknowledged the first
time it is submitted. I hope I am not abusing your kind service.

The project in question is Rindolf, which aims to create a dialect of Perl
based mostly on Perl 5. At first I (and other hackers who may join me) am
trying to formulate a working specification of the language. At a certain
point in time, I will actually start writing code for the interpreter. The
specification will be written in DocBook and be published under a free
content license (Open Publication License for now, but that may change).

I have not yet decided on the exact nature of the the interpreter, and
from which codebase I would start, if at all. Ideas that I contemplated
with are:

1. Taking the existing perl 5 codebase and extending it to fullfill
Rindolf needs.

2. Writing a front-end of Rindolf for Parrot. (this can be done in either
Perl 5 or C)

3. Taking a different codebase altogether (i.e: Ruby) and ripping it to
form a working interpreter.

Naturally, the nature of the license would change depending on the
possibility I would follow. I will make sure, however, that the license is
GPL compatible. (I would like it to be less restrictive than the GPL if
possible, but that's a different issue altogether)

I could try my best to include a license specification at the header of
any source file or document. However, I don't think I can make sure that
any file that I put in the CVS or on the web-site is fully free content.
It is possible that I would put user comments, or the such, for future
reference, and naturally I could forcibly deprive their originators of
their work.

Finally, here are some links and references:

Yahoogroups)

(the ad-hoc SPEC)

http://use.perl.org/features/02/03/10/1622250.shtml?tid=1 ( a discussion
on use Perl;)

Let me know if there's any pre-condition for hosting this project.

Best Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

[1] - I eventually renamed it to lm-solve and decided that it can survive
without the need for a hosting service.

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden
Home E-mail:       address@hidden