Re: [Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctl

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctly?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 19:07:42 +0200

Le ven 17 mai 2002 à 18h51, Shlomi Fish a écrit :

I hope you remember me. Some time ago, I tried to submit two projects
at
your service (Rindolf, and Logic Mazes Solver[1]) and after three
rejects,
gave up, and decided to look for a different alternative. However, I
could
not find something more suitable, so I decided to turn to you again,
hoping that Savannah and I can give each other another chance.

Now there's a re-register url that make re-registration easier :)

1. Taking the existing perl 5 codebase and extending it to fullfill
Rindolf needs.

2. Writing a front-end of Rindolf for Parrot. (this can be done in
either
Perl 5 or C)

3. Taking a different codebase altogether (i.e: Ruby) and ripping it
form a working interpreter.

Naturally, the nature of the license would change depending on the
possibility I would follow. I will make sure, however, that the
license is
GPL compatible. (I would like it to be less restrictive than the GPL
if
possible, but that's a different issue altogether)

I could try my best to include a license specification at the header
of
any source file or document. However, I don't think I can make sure
that
any file that I put in the CVS or on the web-site is fully free
content.
It is possible that I would put user comments, or the such, for future
reference, and naturally I could forcibly deprive their originators of
their work.

The last point is really problematic : savannah can't host any non-free content. The only way to avoid this problem would be for you to not put thoses files on savannah but on another place with a reference to them. But if it means that your project is only usable if users have some proprietary stuff (thoses files), it cant be hosted here. If you want being hosted here, you must promise (and do so) to never put proprietary stuff here nor proprietary dependancies..

The rule is really basic :
        - no proprietary stuff of any kind
        - no dependancies to proprietary stuff

It's a matter of coherency, the FSF cant, ethically, host projects that will incite users to install proprietary software.

* http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
* http://yeupou.coleumes.org
* http://gpg.coleumes.org (GPG Key)