Re: [Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctl

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] The Project "Rindolf" - how to submit it correctly?
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 05:28:46 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Mathieu Roy wrote:

> Le ven 17 mai 2002 ? 18h51, Shlomi Fish a ?crit :
> >
> > I hope you remember me. Some time ago, I tried to submit two projects
> > at
> > your service (Rindolf, and Logic Mazes Solver[1]) and after three
> > rejects,
> > gave up, and decided to look for a different alternative. However, I
> > could
> > not find something more suitable, so I decided to turn to you again,
> > hoping that Savannah and I can give each other another chance.
>
> Now there's a re-register url that make re-registration easier :)

OK.

> > 1. Taking the existing perl 5 codebase and extending it to fullfill
> > Rindolf needs.
> >
> > 2. Writing a front-end of Rindolf for Parrot. (this can be done in
> > either
> > Perl 5 or C)
> >
> > 3. Taking a different codebase altogether (i.e: Ruby) and ripping it
> > form a working interpreter.
> >
> > Naturally, the nature of the license would change depending on the
> > possibility I would follow. I will make sure, however, that the
> > license is
> > GPL compatible. (I would like it to be less restrictive than the GPL
> > if
> > possible, but that's a different issue altogether)
> >
> > I could try my best to include a license specification at the header
> > of
> > any source file or document. However, I don't think I can make sure
> > that
> > any file that I put in the CVS or on the web-site is fully free
> > content.
> > It is possible that I would put user comments, or the such, for future
> > reference, and naturally I could forcibly deprive their originators of
> > their work.
>
> The last point is really problematic : savannah can't host any non-free
> content. The only way to avoid this problem would be for you to not put
> thoses files on savannah but on another place with a reference to them.

Ahahh. But the mailing lists archives can have non-free posts, right?

> But if it means that your project is only usable if users have some
> proprietary stuff (thoses files), it cant be hosted here.

The project would be usable without them, I can assure you that.

> If you want being hosted here, you must promise (and do so) to never
> put proprietary stuff here nor proprietary dependancies..
>
> The rule is really basic :
>       - no proprietary stuff of any kind
>       - no dependancies to proprietary stuff
>
> It's a matter of coherency, the FSF cant, ethically, host projects that
> will incite users to install proprietary software.

My problem is this. It is possible that I will receive opinions from the
users, or anything else that will take me time to process. I'd like to put
it there (at least temporarily) so people can refer to it. Later on, I
will replace or complement it with free content material. However, I don't
think it's prudent to ask any contributer to release what he said under a
free content license.

I have no intention of making Rindolf dependant on non-free content the
way you described. However, I would like its site to host some ad-hoc
non-free content, which I find appropriate to put there (the way I
described).

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden