[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of A Gnome UI for Portag

From: savannah . gnu . org
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of A Gnome UI for Portage
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:30:12 -0400

Curtis Callender <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: A Gnome UI for Portage
System name: gemerge
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

My project is designed to present the user with a GUI frontend for Gentoo
Linux\' Portage interface.  This will be coded in GTK/GDK/Gnome, as there is
already a KDE interface for just such a thing.  The Portage system is Gentoo\'s
package management system.  I\'ve noticed that the majority of Gentoo\'s users
are KDE, along with the majority of Gentoo\'s developers.  Because of the lack
of a Gnome frontend, I\'ve decided to put my programming skills to good use.
This will be done in C/C++.

Perhaps most users are KDE users?  I wonder why?  *grin*.

Anyways, It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.

Other Software Required:
The only software to work properly is Gentoo\'s Portage system, which is
covered under some Open-Source license.  The future release of Portage 2.0 will
use some database backend (right now the File System is used) but that has yet
been undertermined.  I am sure that it too will be OpenSource.