[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU DLX Simulator

From: manuel
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU DLX Simulator
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 12:50:43 -0400

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: GNU DLX Simulator
System name: gnudlx
This package wants to apply for inclusion in the GNU project

I want to create a simulator for the DLX processor. DLX is a RISC type,
load/store machine similar to SPARC or MIPS, \"created\" for academic purposes
by Patterson & Hennesy in the book \"Computer Architecture. A quantitative
approach\" first published in the early 90s, ant there\'re no commercial
versions of the processor as far as I know. (Maybe it could even be extended to
run as a simulator for those similar machines).

I want my simulator to \"understand\" the assembler dialect that they used in
the book and then execute the program, show statistics, register status,
pipeline and all that stuff. It would be optimal to see all of these working in
a graphical environment, such as GNOME.

There\'re other simulators like dlxsim created by the authors of the book
itself, and other freely (beer) available and even free software with BSD
licenses, but they are usually too bizarre or too old, I couldn\'t test most of
them.

There\'s an special one, WinDLX, for M$ Windows. Appart from being proprietary,
it\'s compiled for 3.11 (too old) and no longer supported since 1991 more or
less. But is quite cute and functional, I\'m inspired on it. I could take
screenshots to show them to you.

The project is still in a very early stage of development, barely parses the
assembler programs and has difficulties with some directives. So there\'s no
firm release, even no tarball publicy available, but I could put somewhere if
you consideer it\'s worth test it (I think that is not, yet!).

Other Software Required:
I don\'t know :?

GNU LibC, maybe GNOME in the future.. but no special software such as JavaVM.

Other Comments:
I want it to be GNU software, but I\'m not yet very familiar with all of the
implications, I\'ll need help, sure! :)