Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU DLX Simulator

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU DLX Simulator
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:24:27 +0200

i'm re-reading the coding standards, it's by far no compatible (it
doesn't have i18n support, nor the file COPYING, etc).

The COPYING is required anyway. It's one of the licensing issue we check. The important thing is the presence of this COPYING file and copyright notice + license notice at the beginning of every source
code file (as explained at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html ).
Since it's free software, a file can be extracted and use elsewhere, it's important that this file carry all copyright and licensing informations about it.

About the i18n, I guess it's more a request than an exigence.

so i guess that
is better not to apply for being a GNU package. i've set the option
just
because i wanted it to be a GNU package in the future, i'm aware that
at
the moment it's not compliant at all.

about the name, do you mean the full/nice name (GNU DLX Simulator),
the
system name/id (gnudlx), all the references inside the program to its
name, all of them, ...?

In fact, we prefer that you avoid calling it GNU DLX Simulator until it is really a GNU package. So I mean the full name, the system name (anyway, the system name of GNU emacs is emacs) and the importants references in the program. I won't tell you to remove all occurences of GNU inside your program if you are working to make it a GNU Package. You can choose a name without GNU on savannah, for your announcements (freshmeat...) and add a note in the README telling that you are working to make your program a GNU package.

On savannah, the main differences between GNU and non-gnu package is that the homepage adress of a GNU package is http://www.gnu.org/software instead of www.freesoftware.fsf.org, mailing at @gnu.org instead of @mail.freesoftware.fsf.org Regards,

 http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
http://yeupou.coleumes.org
http://gpg.coleumes.org (GPG Key)