[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of AccWhizz - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Jacek Wolski
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of AccWhizz - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:01:54 +0100

Hi Mathieu,
Good news - I have changed Linux to GNU/Linux and resubmitted the project.
Bad news - I could remove gifs from AccWhizz program, but there are gifs in phpGroupWare program as well (on which AccWhizz runs).
It seems that the project will be a non-GNU one, until the end of 2003 or phpGroupWare will be available without gifs.
>From my point of view it is not a big problem - AccWhizz is in pre-alpha stage, and it will take some time for it to mature for production (commercial) use.

Jacek

P.S.
By the way - phpGW is a GNU project - do they intend to remove gifs in the near future?

Mathieu Roy wrote:
address@hidden said:

J.R.T. Wolski <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
Package: AccWhizz
System name: accwhizz
Type: non-GNU

This is an accounting system, which supports national languages (NLS) and multiple ledgers; multiple accounting schemes (ASAL) and database support (DAL) are under development. Target end users are small and medium enterprises (SME) and accounting offices.

    * Development Status: 2 - Pre-Alpha
    * Environment: Web Environment
    * Intended Audience: Developers, End Users/Desktop, System Administrators
    * License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
    * Natural Language: English
    * Operating System: Windows 95/98/2000, OS Independent, Linux
    * Programming Language: PHP
* Topic: Accounting

Download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=60091&release_id=116254

Could remove gif images files from your project?

Because of the patents (Unisys and IBM) covering the LZW
compression algorithm which is used in making GIF files,
it's impossible to have free software to generate proper
 GIFs. They also apply to the compress program

For more informations, read
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Also, note that "Linux" is just a kernel of a more complex system
that we like to refer to as GNU/Linux, to emphasize
the ideals of the Free Software movement.

Would you mind changing occurences of Linux as OS
to GNU/Linux?

You can get more information at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission