[Savannah-hackers] Re: IMPORTANT: Becoming a GNU project

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: IMPORTANT: Becoming a GNU project
Date: 02 Jan 2003 18:24:42 +0100

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> > > This project seems to have been classified as a nongnu project.  But
> > > the source is copylefted and I've assigned copyrights to the FSF for
> > > all Guile extensions, so it should be a gnu project.
> > > Can you please change this?
> >
> > Done.
>
> Hi,
> I do not think this is a GNU project. I have not seen any message from RMS
> dubing it a GNU project and I've failed to find Mikael Djurfeldt in the
> "maintainers" file in fencepost.
>
> Just because it is an extension of a GNU package, I do not think that makes it
> a GNU package itself. And it seems to me that the author has two common
> misconceptions which we should try to clear up with him:
>
>  1- An author cannot simply write down the FSF as the copyright holder
>     of his/her program unless he/she has signed a copyright assignment
>     form sent by the FSF (from his message it is not clear he did that, so
>     he should be inquired about it)
>
>  2- Assigning copyright to the FSF does not make a package part of the GNU
>     project. Currently, the only person who can decide whether a package
>     becomes part of GNU is RMS.
>
> The author should be contacted to clear up those two items before marking his
> project as GNU. And notice that the correct way to move a project from non-GNU
> into GNU is:
>
>   /usr/local/sourceforge/bin/sv_non-gnu2gnu.sh <project-name>
>
> This will move the CVS web repository to the correct place. If that step is
> skipped, we will receive error messages from the cron job such as the ones
> we're getting today (I have not run sv_non-gnu2gnu.sh on this project
> because I doubt it is a GNU project).
>
> There are other projects which are also marked as GNU in Savannah and which I
> doubt they are (for instance guile-matrix)

We have an issue here. Are guile-fftw and guile-matrix part of the
Guile project and subprojects of guile? If so, they are indeed
GNU. And, by reading the author mail, it's what I understood.

Note that the author of the project is member of the Guile project.
http://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group_id=39

Unfortunately, mail archives for december are broken.

According to my personal archives, the author said
        > This project seems to have been classified as a nongnu
        project.  But
        > the source is copylefted and I've assigned copyrights to the
        FSF for
        > all Guile extensions, so it should be a gnu project.

This is, in fact, unclear, because, as you said, assigning copyright
to the FSF does not means being a GNU package. But by reading this and
after checking he was member of the Guile project, I though we were
talking about official extensions for Guile, subprojects of Guile.