[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:59:10 +0000 (UTC)

   "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

   > The customary implication of this language is that writing
   > documentation and pressing for freedom is a `pseudo' activity,
   > and that the only `real' activity is writing code.
   >
   > How about refering to a `project that does not involve writing
   > software' but which may be harder than writing a program?

   Your point is very well taken, but your proposed phrase is not very
   euphonious. :)  Maybe "documentation project"...

I agree it is not euphonious, but I thought of the various things
people do that are not considered `documentation' even though they
involved writing, such as advocating software freedom.  So I decided
that the term `documentation project' would lead some people (not you)
to think primarily of documentation of programs, rather than a
discussion of whether you have the right to modify someone else's code.

It is a pity we are not writing for historians -- the `anti-Xenophon'
phrase is nicely succinct jargon; but we are not.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden