[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Brian J. Fox
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:29:31 -0700

   From: Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
   Date: 07 Apr 2003 20:09:13 +0200

   "Brian J. Fox" <address@hidden> said:

   > The number of "off-site" links in emacs.gnu.org that actually get
   > visited should be small -- what's the problem with having the
   > philosophy page stored on the canonical www.gnu.org?

   No problem. There is already the philosophy page on www.gnu.org.

   But obviously, if everypage in www.gnu.org points to
   http://www.gnu.org for it's content, mirrorings is completely
   meaningless. The purpose of a mirror is to be browsed within requests to
   the master server.

I didn't say that pages in www.gnu.org should refer to www.gnu.org, I
said that pages in emacs.gnu.org should refer to www.gnu.org -- i.e.,
pages which are canonically stored on www.gnu.org should be referenced
by their complete URLs from sites that are officially NOT www.gnu.org.

There are multiple solutions for mirrors -- we're only discussing one
here.  For example, the mirror could be pulled from a CVS repository
built just for that purpose, and that could in turn be built from
"translation" software that we run in-house.

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800