[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Brian J. Fox
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:20:31 -0700

   From: Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
   Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
             address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
   Date: 07 Apr 2003 17:14:58 +0200

   We could remove any relatives links but, we want mirroring
   www.gnu.org, including www.gnu.org/software/emacs.

In my opinion, mirroring .../software/emacs isn't really important or
necessary -- it is a relatively low-volume site bandwidth and
computing-wise.  To have www.gnu.org (which could be mirrored) link to
emacs.gnu.org would instead give us a chance to load balance our sites
based on popularity.  I believe that we would derive greater benefit
from that than mirroring the entire www.gnu.org tree.

   And if we add non-relatif path in www.gnu.org/software/emacs, mirrors
   wont work (as referring constantly to the master server).

The number of "off-site" links in emacs.gnu.org that actually get
visited should be small -- what's the problem with having the
philosophy page stored on the canonical www.gnu.org?

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800