[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Brian J. Fox
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:03:09 -0700

   From: Mathieu Roy <address@hidden>
   Date: 07 Apr 2003 23:55:28 +0200

   "Brian J. Fox" <address@hidden> said:

   > I didn't say that pages in www.gnu.org should refer to www.gnu.org, I
   > said that pages in emacs.gnu.org should refer to www.gnu.org -- i.e.,
   > pages which are canonically stored on www.gnu.org should be referenced
   > by their complete URLs from sites that are officially NOT www.gnu.org.

   emacs.gnu.org is officially part of www.gnu.org and IMHO it
   should stay that way.

We appear to be speaking two different versions of the same language.

By (my) definition, emacs.gnu.org is not www.gnu.org.  The reason for
this statement is that these web sites could reside on different
physical servers.

I've pointed out that hosting various clumps of xxx.gnu.org sites on
different physical servers might actually make sense, either now, or
in the future.

   Descriptions of GNU Projects are important. People browse www.gnu.org
   for licenses, philosophy,  but also for packages description, links.

I agree that package descriptions should be present on www.gnu.org.
They should also be present on xxx.gnu.org.  If you want to keep them
synchronized, do so using any number of tools, including CVS, SOAP,
and databases.

   > There are multiple solutions for mirrors -- we're only discussing
   > one here.  For example, the mirror could be pulled from a CVS
   > repository built just for that purpose, and that could in turn be
   > built from "translation" software that we run in-house.

   An output shouldn't be managed by CVS (only sources).

One man's output is another man's input.  If the goal is to allow
mirrors to run any web server they would like, then we can only
provide those mirrors with standard static documents.  In that case,
we should build the static versions of those documents in-house.

I hope that this discussion is of use to someone -- please feel free
to jump in at any time.

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800