Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SINS - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Elfyn McBratney
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of SINS - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:47:40 +0100

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 03:35:47PM +0200, strk wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:29:28PM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm evaluating the project you submitted for approval in Savannah.

> > > Project URL is: http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/sins
> > > There you can find CVS access, released packages and
> > > exploded source trees.
> >
> > The following files lack the copyright statements and permission to
> > copy headers:
> >
> >   src/VARS.c
> >   src/cmdline.c
> >   src/mod_human.h
> >   src/sins.h
> >   src/snake_compat.h
> >   src/snake_limits.h
> >   src/ui_picts.h
> >
> > Also, is the file src/compat.c Public Domain?  If so, the file should
> > state that.  If not, please add the appropriate copyright statement
> > and license information.
> >
> > Once you have fixed the above, and it checks out OK, I can approve
> > your project.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I've added copyright statement and license information in all files
> written by me. The compat.c has been copied from here:
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part4/section-6.html
> I've added this url in that file. I dunno if it has to be considered
> 'Public Domain'...

From http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part4/preamble.html (second
paragraph):

  "This collection of documents is Copyright (c) 1994, Ted Timar, except
  Part 6, which is Copyright (c) 1994, Pierre Lewis and Ted Timar.
  All rights reserved.  Permission to distribute the collection is
  hereby granted providing that distribution is electronic, no money
  is involved, reasonable attempts are made to use the latest version
  and all credits and this copyright notice are maintained.
  Other requests for distribution will be considered.  All reasonable
  requests will be granted."

This means that you will not be able to use the code in src/compat.c
unless it's author licenses it under a more permissive license.
However, there is a GPL'd version of usleep() in GNULib
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnulib/gnulib/lib/nanosleep.c)
that you could use instead.

Can you use this GPL'd version instead?

--
Elfyn McBratney

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4