Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 22:29:02 +0200

>  If the answer is yes, It would be better not to use
> savannah because of the risk. What I mean is, what happen if I use a
> method of j2sdk 1.4 that it is not implemented by classpath project
> neither any other similar free project?.

The only thing that happens, is that people have to use non-Free
software to run Free software.  We at Savannah only host software that
can run on a totally Free Software system.

What we suggest you do is installing GCC with Java support (which will include the GIJ, the GNU Interpreter for Java, and Classpath), and test that your software can run with it. For example, I could run Kopi (a Java compiler written in Java) using GIJ.

I heard Fedora in making an effort in providing such Java-related software (and it is available pre-compiled for other distros too). People hacking GIJ and Classpath will be happy to help you make your program able to run in a completely free operating system :) Also, your software is text-only, and it is likely it will actually run out of the box with our free Java environment.

Keep in mind that free software relying on non-free Java platform is a severe treat, just like Qt once was.

--
Sylvain