Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval

From: Iván García Alcaide
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah Projects Approval
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:31:03 +0200

Rudy Gevaert wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:15:26AM +0200, Iv?n Garc?a Alcaide wrote:

Well, what I mean is that I want my project to be free under GPL (that's clear :-) ). What I will do is to follow free specifications of Java language and, if necessary, totally free libraries. What I can not ensure is that there is a free JVM and compiler able to run the project. I can not ensure it because of two main reasons:

- I don't know how complete are free JVMs like Japhar or Sable.

- I don't know how complete is classpath project (or any other free implementation of j2sdk 1.4 classes).

So, in case that I follow a free specification but not implemented by a free project, is it considered a project that cannot be run under a free java suite?.

Sadly, yes...

No problem. I will begin the project as usual to me with the tools I know better. I won't be in my city for one month so I will not be able of connecting to Internet anyway, so at this stage of the project I don't need the project to be hosted anywhere. During this month I'll work in a local computer and when I come back I will check if what I have is posiible to be run under free java tools. Then, we can decide to host it in savannah and look for people to collaborate in the project. If I see free java projects are not enough to run my project then I will see the way to implement those things I need in a free way.

I hope everything goes well beetwen us.

Best regards...

P.S.: Any reply to this message I will readit on begining September. Thanks a lot for everything.

--
Iván García Alcaide
Dpto. Lenguajes Sistemas y Proyectos Informáticos